Welcome to the FHRCO Interprofessional Collaboration (IPC) eTool
This eTool is designed to assist interprofessional teams to coordinate care within the expanded (and overlapping) scopes and authorities established by the Regulated Health Professions Statute Law Amendment Act, 2009. It is a customizable, point of care, decision-making tool that will enable teams to optimize roles, responsibilities, and services for fulfilling patient/client needs
This eTool allows you to create a team work plan, called Workflow, that identifies significant milestones in your patient/client care. Once you have identified key milestones, you will be prompted to consider a checklist of critical questions that must be considered to ensure patient/client safety and effective team work. The eTool also provides resources that will inform you as to the scopes of practice and authorities to perform controlled acts that each professional has within their purview. Further, the eTool offers a set of FAQs that address practical issues arising in various clinical settings.
The eTool includes the following:
- Team Workflow (you must sign in to access this section)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Scopes of Practice
- Controlled Acts
- Link to the FHRCO Guide to Medical Directives and Delegation
The Team Workflow in the My Work section of the eTool is a customizable, user-created checklist designed to help interprofessional teams.
The team workflow is based on patient/client-centred milestones and guides the user to:
- Identify critical review points (“milestones”) that will likely arise in the course of patient/client treatment or intervention
- Consider critical questions that address aspects of patient/client care that are known to contribute to patient safety in an interprofessional model of care delivery
Teams may use the checklist in any way that helps them provide excellent care for patients/clients. Examples include:
- A planning tool when developing medical directives or population health action plans
- A generic checklist to satisfy team members that the questions have been addressed, (with or without providing the answers to the questions, depending on how the team would like to use the eTool and the Workflow they create)
The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) address concerns that are commonly raised in interprofessional teams such as consent, privacy, accountability, team communication, etc. Each question includes links to the relevant documents individual Colleges have pertaining to the question.
This is a comprehensive resource helping you to quickly identify the scopes of practice, professional activities, and the authorized controlled acts that are under the purview of any specific profession.
This section summarizes the controlled acts listed the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991. It delineates which professions can perform which acts. If there are limitations, those are listed in the chart.
This link takes you to the FHRCO's online tool, An Interprofessional Guide to the Use of Orders, Directives and Delegation for Regulated Health Professions in Ontario.